Pages

28 May 2011

Day 14: Betty Hill -> John O'Groats

Sunny with a strong wind behind me - perfect weather to finish. A hilly first 10 miles as I followed the coast east. It was one road all the way so no navigation needed. I packed cable ties and was determined to not carry anything the best part of 1000 miles without using it (except the med kit). Cable tied my iPhone to my handlebars, put the music on shuffle, cranked it up and went hell-for-leather. No need to keep any energy in the tank. Quick coffee in Thurso and then hammered out the last 20 miles at breakneck speed. Going so fast I came into JOG without really noticing. Quite a flat feeling at first, but as the texts and calls started to come in it hit home what I'd achieved. Got the official photo, signed the book - I was the 3rd person to finish today and about 7 or 8 came in after me including 2 tandems.  Another coffee and some lunch - it was only 14:00 and I didn't really want to spend the whole afternoon in Wick so I wandered around and chatted with the other finishers as they rolled in. Sorted my lift back to Wick - I probably should have cycled but I felt like it was tempting fate somehow.  The potholes, cars, and to a lesser extent weather have been kind to me over the past few weeks and the messages of support, sponsors and an unhealthy mix of caffine and powerbars have kept me motivated and happy on what can at times be quite a solitary venture.  Particular thanks to those of you who funded me a night or three accommodation, Rosie and Mum for unwavering support and motivation and anyone who's read this, donated, put me up, fed me, been in touch, stitched me up or offered me advice - suffice to say it wouldn't have happened without you.  I know Farleigh Hospice would want me to pass on their thanks for the £2090 + gift aid you've donated.

I don't know what dad would have made of it all, but it's been an honour to do it in his name.  

So long for now.