Pages

23 May 2011

Day 9: Langholm -> Edinburgh

Alison and Tom (pictured below) very kindly donated me some shoeguards and full gloves as I was majorly under equipped to deal with the weather.  Their B&B - The Wauchope Cottage in Langholm was excellent and I wish I could have stayed on.
image.jpeg
The wind was scarily powerful and when it was behind me I didn't have to peddle - even uphill. When it hit me in the side I had real trouble staying on the bike. It was accompanied with lashings of rain and just a smattering of hail.

After 75 miles on the A7 I got to Edinburgh which was a complete state. I saw uprooted trees and had a branch fall down just after I passed under it. 
image.jpeg
Tonight's B&B currently has no power, so it's candle/Aga light only and a major relief when Howard and Katrina collected me and took me to their flat in the centre of Edinburgh for some sterling food. It was great to see them and hear about their new life in Scotland and discuss the intricacies of  the Giggs case, though i did feel pretty shell shocked after a completely manic day. 

image.jpeg
Also, just to put the icing on the cake, the chip has fallen off my cash card rendering it useless - nightmare.